Thursday 8 September 2011

Engagement present

I am currently undertaking a slow burning project (see 'First Book Project' blog) so other illustrations have been put on hold. However, I miss finishing things, and I wanted to try something new, so I've taken up lino printing. And I love it, it is so satisfying. I get absorbed in the process of drawing, tracing onto the soft lino surface, and carefully cutting out - both delicately and forcefully. And then the best bit is splodging out thick bits of colour onto a big piece of glass, getting a roller to spread it out and roll it over the carved lino block, and then printing it for the first time, revealing a new image. And after all the hard work - you can just print the picture again and again, different colours, different papers - one image hundreds of times! It is so brilliant when I am used to carefully cutting paper out and being either left with just one image, or having to photograph it and expensively digitally print it. This was I am fully in control of the finished project.

Here is a present I've made for two newly engaged friends (it is slightly sickly, but thats weddings for you!) - I like the primary colours...





No comments:

Post a Comment